Admission into any of the FG Unity school across the country is managed by the Federal Government of Nigeria through her Federal Ministry of Education.
The process starts around January/February with the sales of National Common Entrance Examination Pins and candidate online registration. Thereafter, sometimes around March/April, Examination is scheduled and organized for the candidates. This first stage of the process is organized by Nation Examinations Council (NECO) but supervised by the Federal Ministry of Education.
Upon release of the results of the common entrance examination, the Federal Ministry of Education takes over, the admission process from NECO and schedule dates for Pre-Zonal and National Selection Exercise.
At each of the selection exercise, selection of qualified candidates is usually based on the criteria below:
1. National Merit ==60% of School Carrying Capacity Allocated by FME
2. Equality of State ==30% of School Carrying Capacity Allocated by FME
3. Other Factors (Environment or exigency) ==10% of School Carrying Capacity Allocated by FME
The above exercise by the Ministry is usually done in the presence of the following stakeholders:
1. Representative of the Education Minister
2. Director, BASIC & Secondary Education (DBSE)
3. Representative of the Governor of the State where the exercise is holding.
4. School Principals
5. ICT Desk Officers
Upon selection of qualified candidates into the schools, the approved list of admitted candidates and their school of is uploaded on the portal for parents/candidates view. Thereafter, admission letters are distributed by the ministry, to the principals of the schools for onward transmission to the candidates.